Because the Country Bumpkin copyright states specifically that their designs are for personal use only, these garments are not for sale. Because I wanted to see how they looked with a child attached, I asked a few of my friends to loan me their little ones for a day, and I had some photos taken. I am SO pleased with the results!
Smocking & Embroidery issue #69. This design features a romper with buttons at the back and snap closures at the crotch. The pattern called for pink and white gingham fabric, but I used a sweet pattern with little tulips on a lavender background. Instead of bullion roses, I embroidered bullion tulips to match the fabric.
The buttons at the back are little flowers, in keeping with the flowery theme. I love it!
* * * * *
Aidan is wearing "Fairy Floss" from Australian Smocking & Embroidery issue #83. In the magazine, the design is made using pink velour and embroidered with pink bullion roses. I wanted to make this design for a girl AND for a boy. (As I hope to have grandchildren one day, I have to be prepared!) For the boy's garment, I used light blue velour and embroidered little green frogs. What little boy doesn't like frogs??
Smocking and embroidering on velour was a little challenging, but once I got the hang of it, it all worked out. I was able to construct most of the garment using my serger (I have the Husqvarna Huskylock 936).
Unfortunately, I had no baby girl to model for me, so you'll have to do like me and just imagine what it would look like attached to a child. (Or you can always look it up in the magazine! ;-)
Now that I've made "Fairy Floss" in both blue and pink, I am ready for my future grandchild, whether he be a "he" or she be a "she"!
* * * * *
Naomi and Alexia are wearing "Sherbet Fizz", an individual pattern taken from a rare and out-of-print issue of Australian Smocking & Embroidery.
As per the instructions, the dress is fully smocked in muted colors and then embroidered with flowers using bright colors. Flowers are also embroidered along the hem and on covered buttons.
This dress takes a while to smock and embroider, but the garment construction takes no time at all. I liked it so well, I got creative and made the pattern twice more with a few modifications!
The pattern also calls for some lovely beading -- the larger flowers have bead centers. The beading adds the perfect touch!
The dress that Alexia is wearing is made using a soft yellow broadcloth. I used two tones of yellow for the smocking, and then embroidered a simple row of flowers in a beautiful cornflower blue.
Naomi is kindly modeling a royal blue version of "Sherbet Fizz". I'm not sure which one I like the best!
With all these dresses, I sure hope I have granddaughters... (no hint to my kids, by the way!).
I truly enjoyed making all of these garments. The fail-safe instructions allowed me to smock and sew with confidence.
* * * * *
And now, back to my commercial smocking and sewing! I have three orders I'm currently working to fill: a size 2 sundress in a raspberry cotton calico print, smocked in light and dark pinks, and coordinating blouse (all done but the construction); a size 18-months bishop dress in a light blue calico print; and a size 1, fabric and pattern not yet chosen.
I'm also embarking on a new adventure, developing my own garment patterns. I'm taking a course this fall in pattern making -- it's bound to be exciting!